Love my Patriarch!

I was speaking with the Vann clan Patriarch, Arthur Vann, Sr. AKA Daddy Arthur, as I rode the bus to school today. He had me thinking and praying so hard. Listening to him speak of life, health, family, questioning and speaking life into my current situations, I can only pray to live as long, gain as much infinite wisdom and be in the best of health as he is by 50. Let alone 87! He said something to me that hit me so hard during our conversation, "Baby I'm 87 years-old, that's 13 years from 100".

I immediately thought

... my grandfather is getting up there!

This photo was taken by my cousin Ashney from his 87th birthday family gathering this past September. This man looks no where NEAR his 80's. I'll give him 60's at best with a 30 something year old activity level. He uses NO assistance to get up and around. He takes NO prescribed medication of any kind and interacts at full mental capacity! God is some kinda good, I tell ya and he makes NO qualms about where his help, health and strength comes from!

Look at how he and his sons look more like brothers than father and sons

He is like the OG of this family and has made it known he is going to walk behind ALL of our caskets! Is he immortal? Does he know something we don't? It would seem that way! He has me feeling some type of way today, I'll tell you that.

It's funny after all these years he still does NOT say BYE at the end of a conversation, more like "ok baby, talk to ya later". Today, what got me was his "ok baby, love you", it was all I needed today. He is the reason why I am the way I am. SPOILED AND SLIGHTLY UPPITY! He made sure we had EVERYTHING we needed! Between my grand and great-grandparents we lived in great communities with no reason to be or act ghetto. He also taught me, in actions, NEVER to settle and even though no one wants to be lonely or single forever I'd rather be that than settle and be unhappy. He taught us to work hard for what we want in life. I have slipped several times on a few of his life lessons but one things for sure, I'll NEVER forget any of them! I appreciate these moments and intend to keep them coming. I just felt like sharing this today to encourage anyone who still has grandparents around to call them often if they are not near or go visit if they are. There's nothing like a grandparent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM