I Thought I Had on my Big Girl Panties - Mother of an Incarcerated Son

June 1 2014 was the day my son walked out of Baker County Correctional Institution as a free man. He had been gone since November 2009, I remember it like it was yesterday.

This was also the day I vowed THIS WAS IT!! I was done. I had spent a fair share of time between the Duval juvenile detention center, the Duval county jail and about four of Florida's finest hotels AKA prison facilities from 2006 to 2014. I have dealt with Florida's rendition of a JUST-US system from court dates and appearances, public pretenders, prosecutors to include the wicked witch of the South Angela Corey, body searches and scans, loud clinking doors that I was not allowed to move through one until the one prior closed AND $100 monthly for commissary, sometimes more. Thinking back now, I honestly do not know how I did it but I did. Right now, I am desperately trying to figure out how I did it as I think about how I could have been saving all of that money and how I can reenact that into savings now! Anyway, there I was learning about the system at the expense of my son at a very early age. A time were he should have been learning how to drive, going to prom, walking across the stage to get his diploma, playing sports, thinking about the next move after high school but he was doing everything but because he belonged to the state of Florida criminal system.

Most of you know but some of you are still in the dark ... as of February 22, my son is back behind bars. This time it wasn't nearly as tough for me, getting that call, as it had been in the past. He always reminded me he was grown and almost 30 so my thought was you got it Mr. Grown Man! I was good for the first few days but then I went downtown to walk the bridges, something I had not done in a few months but on this day, the one day I felt a real push to go, I was unable to finish. Why? Because I could see the Duval County jail from the bridge as I was crossing. I could feel the negative energy that place holds and it was pulling me down knowing my son is in there. My usual brisk, happy walk/jog turned into a slow stroll of weeping, tears and affirmations of how I was going to be ok with it all. I thought I was over this part. I thought I was going to be just fine, fine, fine, fine, fine WHEW (in MJB voice). I had finally put on my big girl mama panties and I was moving on is what I thought but all of the same old emotions that I felt in 2006 and 2009 came flooding right back. It had been a full week, 7 whole days (in Toni Braxton voice) and I had yet to cry but that changed quickly. Rafiki said "change is good". Right now I disagree.

Two days after his arrest, one of his daughters, MiJael, turned 8. His daughter, MiKaela, turned 1 February 10. He was there for the one year old birthday party but missed the older ones party due to his being detained. It wasn't the best day for my granddaughter and her tears broke me down even more. I don't think fathers realize how much of what they do directly effects their children.

I've been attempting to complete this blog since the day I walked the bridges, March 1st, and each time I would start I would begin to cry. Today has been the first time the tears did not take over. No matter how hard I think I am being and sticking to my guns of not getting involved it does not lessen the pain of feeling I somehow failed him. No I don't blame myself because I know I did the best I could to raise him right and provide a loving home life for him but I fear my enabling played a part. That is the part that hurts. A lot of us single mothers do not realize how much we enable our children until it's too late. At this point I can only speak life and positive vibrations into the universe for my son. I only create greatness in any and everything I do so my hope is that he gets it right after this set back. His potential for greatness is immeasurable so to the universe I say let him use this set back to increase the power in his come back which has only been delayed.

And to the Most High I ask for peace and piece of mind as well as the strength to remain focused on my goals and not allow this present situation to dull or stop my shine because this is my time!



24 comments:

  1. I commend you for having the strength to get by, and the courage to share with whoever reads it. I thought I loved you before....Now, I KNOW I love you! May God bless you and your family. Stay the strong Queen that you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Minnie. You are one of the sweetest, kindest people I've ever met on any social site. I'm grateful our paths were allowed to cross. I love you also my beautiful friend.

      Delete
  2. You are so strong and I want you to know I love you. Continue to let this be an expressive outlet for you. I am here for you if you need me. I am sending prayer and positive vibes your way. ����‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that you touch, you change.
    All that you change, changes you.
    God is change.
    -Parable Of The Sower, Octavia Butler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harrison Bernardez JrMarch 8, 2018 at 2:56 AM

    Hold your head beautiful lady. And my prayers are with you and yours during this time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my HOSTESS, I am saddened by this new but ourGod doesn’t make mistakes. So focus on you and be the strong beautiful woman that I know you are, and take care of those grandchildren. You are an amazing woman, mother, and Grandma and don’t you ever forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG ... WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN MA'AM!!! Thank you for your kind words. We must link and soon if you are still in Jax.

      Delete
  6. You are definitely amazingly strong!! I pray for strength and healing for you and the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry that you have to deal with another situation concerning your son. I know you have been dealing with this for a moment. I am so proud of you for standing strong and enduring and overcoming these trying times. God will carry you through now to better days. As much as it my hurt, you have done more than your part as a mother. Now it is time for “ I am a Grown Man” to stand GROWN. God BLESS AND KEEP YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ALWAYS MY FRIEND.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that Ant! Thanks so much for the kind words. Love you. Tell mom hello.

      Delete
  8. So much love and respect in my heart for you. Nothing but positive vibes your way! Big LOVE! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MiMi. All of the positive vibes are needed.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing. I did not know that he had been incarcerated again. Your strength Your Love and Our God shall see you both through. As a mom we are never completely through. But we have to take a step back at times and let the grown be grown. Continue to love on those babies. They need you more. Always here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, always. Much love.

      Delete
  10. Chanel, my sister! Know that we are praying for you and your family. Remember this: For I know the plans that I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All prayers desired and required. Thank you my sister.

      Delete
  11. --the man who sides with the other man about that sonic drive-thru incidentMarch 15, 2018 at 8:30 PM

    This too shall pass. Easiest and best words I can give. I love you, Ma.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stay strong sis. Your strength comes from God. That’s why you’re still here. Continue to push your way through. - John.

    ReplyDelete

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM