Mother of an incarcerated son - Mentors

**I will not give the name of the organization, for I know it to be a reputable organization with wonderful outcomes, nor will I name the Mentor because that is not what this is about. This blog is a PLEA for more people to get involved in being a part of a young adults life who may desperately need it**

For those that read 'Mother of an incarcerated son - PART I' I mentioned that I had to meet with youth offender advocates while my son was incarcerated the first time. During that time I was told my son was assigned a Mentor. Dante' really liked this man, he spoke highly of him when they were initially put together. My son thoroughly enjoyed the friendship of an older male role model WHEN he came around. He spoke of him often, positively and negatively. He said when his Mentor came around the conversation and time spent was great but he didn't always come when he said he would which really hurt my son whose thought process turned to 'this is just another male not keeping his word to me'.

The Mentor and I met, spoke on the phone and corresponded via email during and after my son's release in 2008. I would advise him of what was going on with him, when he would mess up and ask him to come by and share a moment of his time with my son. The Mentor ALWAYS had something going on so my son didn't seem to be a priority. I will admit, I was very angry initially, wondered why the Mentor even took my son on as his men-tee but have come to realize that it was not all the Mentors fault.

I have a wonderful friend who is a part of the organization and he mentors more than 1 men-tee at a time as I am sure several others do from the organization. They are not there just for the criminally troubled young men but for young men in need of guidance, in need of a male role model when there may not be one available in the home or family. Mentors extend themselves long and hard daily, from their own personal lives to the lives of those they want to help but when there are 3 men-tee's to 1 mentor that can be pretty hard!

THIS BLOG IS MY PLEA: if you care anything about the community in which we live in and being a positive part of a young adults life get involved in organizations that provide mentors (EXAMPLE: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Florida, Florida Mentoring Partnership, 100 Black Men), a little bit of your time can go a long way in a young persons life. I truly believe that had my son's Mentor had the time there may have been a better result in my son's probation but since the Mentor made promises that he unfortunately was unable to keep my son felt let down once again. It doesn't take a lot to someone who has nothing for a difference to be made.

REMEMBER: A LITTLE time can go a LONG way!

100 Black Men of Jacksonville, Inc.
P.O. Box 2065
Jacksonville, FL 32203
Toll Free 800 409-3764
Local Office 904 764-2445
General Email info@100blackmenjax.org

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Florida
3100 University Boulevard S, Suite 120
Jacksonville, FL 32216
904-727-9797 - phone
904-727-9994 - fax

Florida Mentor Partnership, managed by Volunteer USA Foundation
Phone: 352.237.6685
Teecy.Matthews@volunteerusafund.org
http://www.flamentorpartnership.org/
www.VolunteerUSAFoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM