Mental health and Fitness

My recent morning view!!

I have noticed that since I've been getting up at 5 a.m. and hitting the bridges the "mental fog" I suffer with has lightened up quite a bit. So much that my new motto is a 5k a day will keep the fog away and I have to say I have noticed a difference.

I had a wake up call during a really deep conversation my son and I had recently where, for the first time in his life, he saw me break down. He listened to the raised voice, saw the tears, the pain, the frustration ... the depression. He was taken aback and told me this couldn't be the strong woman who had raised him. The woman who always told him to keep his head up and keep pushing no matter what happens. The woman who exhibited strength in every situation. He had never seen me like this or heard me say any of the things I was saying prior to this conversation. He told me if anything were wrong, growing up, he NEVER knew because I kept it away from he and his sister. As a parent, I feel that's how it should be. Our problems are NOT their problems to take on but he, being an adult now, caught a glimpse of what I had kept from them for so many years.

When I expressed my need for professional mental health intervention he asked me "for what? Can you not do this on your own? Why do you have to go talk to someone?" His questioning reminded me of the things I hear often, one of the biggest misconceptions in the black community ... seeking mental health assistance makes you weak! Yes, God can do all things (this is the direction black folk run to first EVERY time) but know this, He gave us common sense to take care of ourselves. He provided those health professionals with the smarts to medically diagnose and treat us if need be. If we have to lay on a coach and take a pill or two to feel better DO IT!

This exchange, between my son and I, took me back to another conversation from a few years back when he was incarcerated. One of my dearest friends and I conversed about mental health, some of the causes as well as some non-medical remedies. The part of the conversation that stuck with me the most is how a healthy lifestyle can help with some mental illnesses which are caused by a combination of genetic, biological, psychological, and environmental factors -- not personal weakness or a character defect. Chemical imbalances play a part so making better food choices and exercising can help. It took me a few years to act on this but when I started in 2012 I noticed a huge difference. I felt better, my energy was higher and the "mental fog" was lifted. I lost 50 lbs in 2012 and maintained that until I returned to school in 2015. I have gained all but 10 lbs back since 2014 and I noticed the return of the mental fog which makes it hard to complete school work, raised my procrastination level dramatically, decreased my energy level and keeps me in a place I don't like being. Everything is heightened which makes it easy to blow small things out of proportion, turn medium obstacles into mountains and turn big things into more of a catastrophic issue than it is. My time management and organizational skills have been hell BUT there is light at the end of this tunnel.

Although I still plan to see a mental health professional, my return to an active lifestyle has helped quite a bit. I have noticed the upbeat difference in the tone of my social media postings, my day to day interactions with people are more pleasant and the change in my sleep/waking patterns which allows me to get up early for my morning 5k's. These changes are ALL FOR THE BETTER and I am loving it! I still have some ways to go but the subtle changes have motivated me to keep at it. I want to encourage anyone who suffers from mental health issues, if you are not active and eating healthier, to join me in doing so! I have noticed this change in a short amount of time, just imagine what the consistency will do to improve my mental quality of life. I can't wait to get back to me and how I am supposed to be! I am turning 47 in June and plan to enjoy the journey there in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM