Better Choices

During Spring break in March, I attended a college tour in the Carolina's with the 100 Black Men of Jacksonville and Teen Leaders of America. On this 3 day 2 night tour approximately 45 young men and women visited four college campuses: Benedict College (SC), North Carolina A&T University (NC), UNC Charlotte (NC) and Johnson C. Smith University (NC). The tour ended with a trip to a NBA game, Hornets vs. Cavaliers ... the youth were elated!

Attending this tour and watching those young men and women who were serious about furthering their education beyond high school was truly a treat. It was also a wake up call on some of the great things I missed out in life. I wasted the last 4 years of high school, the most important years, being fast. I did enough to graduate, with an advanced studies diploma I will add, but put no thought into life beyond that. I have always wanted a Communications career, working in radio or television but that's as far as I went with it ... a want. We had a Vo-Tech program at my high school were broadcasting was taught, I did not take advantage of this program so I wasted my gifts, my talents very early. On top of that, I was a mother exactly nine months after I graduated high school so attending a 4 year college was not on my radar. It was available but I chose to attend a vocational college instead, get a skill under my belt that I could use immediately so that I could take care of my son. **the good ole 80's**

Back to the college tour, walking the campuses and watching/listening to the tour guides made me sad. Why? Because I missed the chance to attend a college or university during a time when I was able to be molded into something greater. The chance to make life long friends from other places. The possibilities of where I could be now in life, in my career instead of almost 50 years of age and still working towards my career of choice. The tour guides were so AWESOME! I could definitely see myself taking on that role for my school at that age and being a part of so many organizations all while building my own personal brand. At my age now, I am too tired to get involved with any extra-curricular activities or organizations. I am simply ready to get school done and over with so I can move on to the next venture in my life.

At the time of this tour I felt like I was wasting my time with the degree I am working towards. It's hard to get into this field at my age, especially if it's a broadcast related career that you have an interest. The tour was a lot to take in all at once and I left there feeling defeated when it was over. I am glad to say I do not feel that way today.

Public Relations can be used in several areas to include corporate America as well as private P.R. and Marketing agencies if I want to work for myself. I have been blessed to have an opportunity to work with a firm during the Summer since I do not attend school during this time and I am looking forward to putting what I have learned thus far to work! I don't have too much time left before I am done with this chapter of my life and of that I am excited. This blog was created for TWO reasons:

1) to encourage the youth to attend college right out of high school if that is what they want to do, don't let anything stop you if you can help it and

2) for those who are in the same boat as me, do not let age or time passed stop you from pursuing your dreams of completing school! It's never too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM