Mother of an Incarcerated Son: Re-entry Program

I found out Friday, August 31st, that my son had been moved once again, this time to his final housing until he is released. I spoke with Classification at Baker C.I. and found out his C.O. is Mr. Johns, with whom I will speak on Tuesday, Sept 4th and was advised he is in the Re-Entrance program. What is that exactly you ask? Well, you have the same question I have so I searched it and this is what I found:

Baker C.I. in Baker County is the second re-entry facility. Baker C.I. offers re-entry services to inmates being released to Duval County and surrounding counties. It is the site of the Second Chance Demonstration Grant project funded by the Second Chance Grant funds. Inmates will receive comprehensive programs and services to assist their transition from prison to the community.

What is the Second Chance Demonstration Grant project? I asked that too, here is what I found: The Second Chance Act (P.L. 110-199) was designed to improve outcomes for people returning to communities from prisons and jails. This first-of-its-kind legislation authorizes federal grants to government agencies and nonprofit organizations to provide employment assistance, substance abuse treatment, housing, family programming, mentoring, victims support, and other services that can help reduce recidivism. For those of you who do not know what recidivism is, it is the habitual relapse into a life of crime.

Everyone knows I prayed against my son going to Baker C.I. due to it being a "little Duval" but my prayer went unanswered because THIS was in my Father's will, for my son to be where he is. There is going to be a lesson for my son and I both in these last 2 years, just praying for strength and guidance to make it through. This facility is called "little Duval" because everyone transitioning out of their sentence that reside in Duval and surrounding areas are sent to that facility. I am not sure what my son's street dealings were but I am under the impression he made a LOT of enemies, those same folk that he will encounter in Baker C.I. or friends of those enemies. This is where my concerns lie as a mother. My son has done 3.5 years of his 5.5 sentence and I want to see him come home safe and sound. I've never been incarcerated so I know there are things in there that I will never understand, "safe and sound" may not even sound right but that is what I pray for. It's not all about the inmates, it is also about the guards. When they know inmates are trying to get out and have so much to lose they try them. I've been told this by ex-offenders and other C.O.'s. It's sad and disheartening to know some folk come to work JUST to make the lives of others miserable. *FATHER KEEP YOUR LOVING ARMS AROUND OUR SON AND MY MIND PLEASE*

I was praying I could see him this weekend, they were able to have visits for 3 days (Saturday, Sunday AND Monday since it is a holiday) and I couldn't make one of them. I just look at it as it was not in my Father's will for me to see my son. Whatever the reason I dared not question, simply carried on with my day to day activities and prayed.

The song on my heart as I think about ALL my children and I have been through is James Fortune and Fiyah "YOU SURVIVED"! The lyrics seem to fit so much of our lives PERFECTLY and no matter what, come what may WE WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THESE LAST 2 YEARS ... we've done it before and we'll do it again! GOD takes care of fools and babies ... my babies are covered and I've been a fool for many things and made some foolish decisions THEREFORE I too am covered!

Though you've been hurt by someone And you feel your smile is gone No one can understand your tears Or what you've been through just to make it here The pain that you felt hurts so deep inside And you often ask yourself why But you survived (you survived) You survived (you survived) All the pain that you went through But Jehovah brought you through You survived (you survived) You survived (you survived), it all You may have lost some loved ones And you can't understand why they're gone Just understand God makes no mistakes And they're smiling down from a better place But the pain that you felt hurt so deep inside And you often ask yourself why But you survived (you survived) You survived (you survived) All the pain that you went through But Jehovah brought you through You survived (you survived) You survived (you survived) You survived it all By the grace of God you made it through With His strength and power He gave to you In spite of all you can smile again You can hold your head up high, You survived You survived (4x) Oh After all that you've been through Now you know God carried you Through the rain (rain), and the pain (pain) Then you called and He came, Oh

Love you son ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM