Find the blessing in the lesson - Mother of an Incarcerated Son

I was just speaking with a dear friend about the Guyger/Botham verdict. We were discussing the "hug and forgive" moment that has gone viral. If you are unaware of the moment let me help you out: the brother of the murdered embraced the killer in the courtroom and stated on the stand "I wasn't going to say this in front of my family or anyone, but I don't even want you to go to jail." Not only did he hug her but so did the judge. This entire conversation brought out quite a few feels. You see, my friend has a slain son and I have an incarcerated son.

Our sons situations are totally unrelated cases but our conversations included them. When my son was home I prayed daily, multiple times a day, that his life was never taken and that he never came to a place where he would have to take a life. That was always a fear of mine. Whenever I heard police sirens I immediately felt sick to my stomach. I know I am not alone in this.

As she and I conversed, she said something that I have said to my son and reminded myself of on many occasions. THIS, in itself, is a reason that I and any parent of an incarcerated child, should be thankful, grateful even.

She said to me and I quote "I pray you NEVER have to endure the pain of burying a child. I always told all 3 of my boys I'd rather VISIT you than BURY you." Although I don't like that my child is locked up, I recognize it for the blessing it is. The Most High kept me sane by allowing me to still see, talk to and even physically visit my child and his grave site. In speaking to my friend, hearing the pain of having buried a child in our conversation, I am reminded I was spared the pain she endures every day. I tell myself as I go through this current phase in my live that I am still able to share moments with my child where so many others can not. I had to find the blessing in the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM