There is NO ugly stage - #Locdfor50

I used to ask my barber all the time how do these young men get these full heads of healthy looking hair and he said "they leave it alone." I did not quite get it at first because I am thinking the scalp must be moist and hair follicles stimulated for growth and the hair attended to for the prevention of breakage. It was not until I began this loc journey that I overstood what he told me. It has not been a full month since my coils were done yet there is so much growth in the bush (my old teenie weenie afro saying)!! I simply water my hair like flowers with the best oils, retwist where I see needed and try my best to leave them alone otherwise. My daughter fusses at me constantly, like SHE'S the mother, about keeping my hands out of my head. It is hard but I am getting the hang of it because the more I leave it alone, the more it grows.

I can not contain my excitement for these starter locs. I remember thinking "I don't want to go through the ugly stage" and wanted to get loc extensions installed. (see previous blog - Loc'd for 50) After researching that option and finding out 1.) human hair MEANT HUMAN HAIR and 2.) how costly it would be for installations I abandoned that idea and possibly the idea of ever taking on the loc journey. I was NOT paying that kind of money to get some strangers hair installed into my head not knowing who they were or how they lived. A persons energy is EVERYTHING TO ME! Surprisingly, as I take this journey, I have come to realize there is NO ugly stage! I mean, how could there be? There is nothing ugly about me so how can I go through that type of thing, right? It is just me embracing this journey as it is and all that it involves.

I am a part of a group, Lady Locs Matter, on Facebook. That group provides so much information regarding the loc transition that even in my frizziest moments, my coils unraveling, and all out hair chaos I am trusting the process. My daughter, who has long gorgeous locs, also aides me in this journey. Want to see her?

Ok, I guess I can post another picture showing her loc length. (inserts proud mom smile) They hang mid-way down her back.

This was the day she installed the coils for me. Look at the difference 3 weeks has made!! You can refer back to the first picture in the blog also.

I wish I had taken a picture with a coil stretched out on the first day so a true comparison can be seen. The 'hang time' is definitely different and these things actually move a little bit when I swing my head. I may have to swing it with some force but they are swaying nonetheless.

The enjoyment of this journey goes far beyond what I thought it would be and to think it is JUST beginning. For those of you feeling a way about that ugly stage I encourage you to bring forth EVERY beautiful aspect of yourself so that you can truly see there IS no ugly stage, just a process we must trust in order to get the results we want.

1 comment:

  1. I'll admit I wasn't a fan. However, when I saw you the other day I was WOWED at how beautiful you looked with them. You're beautiful all the time but that glow was popping like our first night. Wish I could grow some LOL!! You're rocking them well Maliki. Nakupenda 🥰❤💚♠️

    ReplyDelete

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM