Mission Impossible COMPLETE - The Tale of Graduation and Chanel

On September 4, 2011 I wrote a blog - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE - THE REINVENTION OF MS CHANEL! In this blog I set 3 goals (which increased to 5 later but I don't think I ever wrote about them) that were to be completed before I turned 50 and as of May 9, 2019, a month shy of my 49th birthday, all goals have been completed. Before I go any further, let me tell the tale of "Graduation and Chanel".

For months, leading up to graduation, I had VEHEMENTLY stated I would not be walking. This started in the Fall semester of 2018 when I realized my two reasons for everything I do/did in life would not be attending. I felt there wasn't a need. Graduations, in my opinion, are to show off what you have accomplished to your family and friends. Truth be told though, if I were to never march I would still have accomplished the goal of completing the Bachelors program. My reminders would be the degree hanging on my wall AND the student loan debt incurred. In the 'getting ready to graduate again' process, I was reminded of when I received my A.A. degree in 2006. My son and daughter were right there by my side.

I walked to show them that NO MATTER the age you can do anything. I wanted them to see that if mom could do it they could too. It didn't have to happen right out of high school but at any point in their lives. So this go around, I truly did not see the need to walk but close friends and the man who supports me saw otherwise. The day of graduation I had a complete and total (I know they mean the same but that's how serious it was) meltdown. Thinking back to it now, I looked like one of my 2 year-old granddaughters having a tantrum because they were told no. I screamed, stomped, cried, yelled, cried, etc. Y'all get the picture. At that very moment, I did not care if I walked or not. My son is incarcerated again and my daughter was unable to make it to Florida. Why should I walk? For who? Well, I remembered one very special little person was coming ... my oldest granddaughter Daysha. Don't get it twisted, my other half, coworkers/friends were there and I was happy but knowing that my oldest grand could see her grandmother graduate made my heart smile. She is an extension of my child so in my eyes, it was just like my child(ren) being there.

At this moment, one month later, I am appreciative. I am happy and I am blessed. I have completed all 3 goals I set at 40 to complete before I turned 50. The 2 additional added were to take a trip out of the country and marriage. Well, I guess I can say the out of the country part has been completed. I did take a cruise in December 2018 and we went to the Bahamas.

It was my first time on a cruise and being out of the connected United States. I do want to make another BIG trip for my 50th birthday next year, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM