And so she baked ...

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not heavy in the kitchen. I will season my meats (sly smile), put them in the oven (another sly smile) and let them do what it is that they do but all of that standing at the stove is not me. Today was a different kind of day and although my asthma was attempting to prevent me from being great, it ended up rolling right along beautifully. (side note: just in case you did not know Albuterol is from God ... that is all) I have been hanging out in Baymeadows where I may soon be residing with my friend Alisha. Alisha is on TEAM WHIP DEM POTS and while I enjoyed watching my Steelers make sushi from scratch (BYE DOLPHINS) she was in the kitchen baking chicken with mushroom gravy, garlic broccoli/onions/baby portobello, spinach with mushrooms, yellow rice and yams.

The smell goods were resonating all over the condo and I had worked up an appetite with all the screaming, yelling, chanting and jumping around during the game. After she had finished cooking dinner she proceeds to ask me if I wanted to bake a cake. Do I look like I want to bake a damn cake?

My Steelers had just won, I was sipping on some 1800 The Ultimate Margaritas Peach and talking smack on every one of my social media accounts about dem boyz in the Black and Yellow!

Getting in the kitchen was the last thing on my mind BUT I know that cooking is her therapy so as a friend I put my selfishness aside to join her in making this cake. The thing was she wanted me to do it all. WHAT?!?! You know good and well that I do NOT cook like that. She had already taken out all of the ingredients and requested that I put them together. She advised me in what order everything was to be put in the bowl, where the mixer was and to get cracking! So as instructed, I put the butter, vegetable shortening and sugar in the big bowl and mixed them together. Since the butter and shortening were already soft it didn't take much mixing so I then added 5 eggs and mixed again. After that I added in ingredients from a bowl that contained a flour, baking powder and powder cocoa mixture which I had to alternate mixing in the big bowl with regular milk and Folgers regular blend coffee. I continued this alternation, mixing until all ingredients were used and the end result smooth. The batter was then poured in a bundt pan and ready for the oven. It took about 40-50 minutes to rise beautifully! During this time I had started watching the Giants and Packers game while thinking to myself, look at you baking a cake from scratch and ish. I was feeling mighty proud of myself. This is something my great-grandmother Grace did on an almost every day basis. I never had the desire to learn, to be honest I still don't BUT since my dear friend asked me to bake the cake I obliged.

Next I had to create the icing which consisted of Domino Confectioners Sugar, creme cheese, Hershey's Chocolate Caramel International Delight coffee creamer and a splash of vanilla flavoring. This was whipped together until it was smooth, frothy and light. It was the perfect blend and taste for the cake. I put the first layer of icing on the cake while it was still warm then put it in the fridge to cool a little. The second layer of icing was applied about 20 minutes later. It is beautiful and everything tasted great during the taste testing up to this point. NOW time to taste the final product!

Alisha cuts the cake first and all I hear from the kitchen are moans and humming of delight, very few words were said. When she did speak, her exact words were "I am not a chocolate lover but this is not over chocolaty at all. I could definitely get down with this. This thing is heavenly and so light." This was the first time she had ever used this combination of ingredients, her very own creation. She has made several pound cakes with icing but never one that included chocolate coffee creamer and coffee. These are my little touches while visiting her humble abode. Thank goodness I drink coffee so that these ingredients were on hand to be used. Good stuff! Would you like a taste?

Now I know some of you are wondering if I will be doing this again ... and the answer? I don't EVEN think so! It didn't interest me BUT I have to admit I was very proud of the outcome so who knows. I have a feeling these cooking skills Alisha possesses will come in handy in my life, sooner than I think. I hear you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM