Abnormal Mammogram Results

This has been one rough starting week. My asthma has not wanted me to be great for the past 4-5 days and at night it shows its royal behind. Over the weekend that is all I dealt with leading up to Monday, which was the first day of school for the new Spring semester. It was a tough Monday and I almost "called out" of class but I had a bit of great news that gave me a momentary jolt of life (see the Testimony Monday blog). The jolt wore off quickly and by the time I left school I was EMPTY when it came to energy, so much so I fell asleep on the bus ride home and missed my bus stop to get off by one stop. Thank goodness I didn't have too far to walk.

All I could think about on my walk home was getting in my bed and taking a nap before the line dance aerobics class I teach with the Justice League of Fitness group. Before going home I decided to check my mail, which I usually don't do but something pulled me to it today. Upon opening my mailbox I see a letter from Precision Imaging, the facility where I had my mammogram last month. I opened it up and in part this is what I read: "Your recent breast exam(s) showed a finding that requires additional imaging studies, such as additional mammographic views, ultrasound, or breast MRI for a complete evaluation. Most such findings are benign (not cancer)." This was upsetting news but not for the reasons you may think. Almost every mammogram I have had ends with these results because my breast are dense so they are always seeing something and I have to do follow ups. The results always come back benign which is a blessing in itself. The bothersome parts for me are the fact that I have noticed changes in my breast and an insurance issue.

The elected state officials/lawmakers have refused to expand Medicaid for hundreds of Florida residents who are barely making ends meet – the working poor – despite the fact that federal funds are available to pay for it. I am considered a part of the "working poor" - not poor enough to receive Medicaid or assistance from the state and not making enough to pay insurance premiums in full since I attend school full time and work part time. In light of this happening my once $36 monthly premium increased to $404 monthly beginning 01/01/2017, needless to say that was not happening for me so here I am with abnormal findings on my mammogram and no insurance to get the follow up done. As I said, I am not overly concerned about anything being cancerous but it is a thought because this time there is actually pain and a decrease in size. That has me a little concerned because I have not had these issues before. I do not feel any lumps so that is a blessing in itself. Being without insurance is scary because it would be this one time I am unable to follow up that there is actually a malignancy in my breast.

With all that said, I have had a lot on my plate and mind and I am doing everything in my power to keep my spirits up. Some hours are better than others but I keep it moving, smiling as I go. I am thankful that I have resourceful friends that have recommended places to call for assistance which I will be doing so look forward to the follow up to this. There is no cancer in this breast or anywhere else in this body, claiming that right now. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Until the next time good people ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM