All feelings Matter!

Today, a friend and I were dining at IHOP and having our usual girl talk. Sitting in front of us was an older white couple with what, I am going to assume, was their granddaughter. Here is how a small part of their conversation went:

Young girl: Where's Edward Waters College?

Older man: WE (said with stress) don't go there. It's on Kings Rd. Just stay the hell away from there.

Older woman: That's a "specialized" college. Black colleges are out of the question.

The older gentlemen looked up to find me staring, close to tears, from laughter. After that they did begin speaking in hushed tones, still able to hear them but not as loud.

Before I continue, someone please tell me what is a "specialized" college!

Now, for those who do not know, Edward Waters College is a Historically Black College (HBCU) located in Jacksonville, Florida. It is not in the best of areas but that can be said about several higher learning facilities. I posted about the conversation on Facebook and some of my friends posted angry and sad faces in response. I can understand their feelings towards the incident but I had to let them know this was actually a hilarious event! My friend and I did not get offended at all at how these people felt BUT instead applauded them for being themselves. To hear their conversation as it took place, speaking unfiltered and totally unbothered by the two black women sitting behind them who could have very well been students at the school was pretty awesome. They did not seem concerned about offending us, they were themselves and we actually appreciated that even though they did lower their voices afterwards.

All too often in this day and age we find ourselves dumbing down our thoughts and conversations for fear of offending someone. People seem to think that their feelings are always supposed to be catered to but they need to get over themselves. Sometimes it is NOT about them or their feelings. If we catered to everyone's feelings what happens to our feelings? How and when are we able to express how we feel?

Recently Gospel singer Kim Burrell spoke out on her views on homosexuality and she has received a lot of back lash from the LGBT community and a few others. It has gone so far that television star Ellen Degeneres has banned Burrell from her show due to her comments. At what point can someone speak their mind without being persecuted? If you don't like what she says fine, don't attend her church or listen to her sermons or purchase her music but she has a right to feel how she feels. It's like we have to walk on egg shells because we don't want to offend someone with our feelings. When do our feelings matter?

The point of this blog is this, I think people have become overly sensitive thanks to social media and the self entitlement it gives. Not everyone thinks or feels the same and they never will. Those who don't agree with you or feel the way you feel ... well, just let them live. As for me, I have no heaven or hell to put anyone in so I don't judge and I do not get upset with people over how they feel. We are all entitled to our personal feelings and should be able to express them without fear of backlash! ALL FEELINGS MATTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment

STORM REPORT

My Ancestral Visit

Today started out incredibly rough. I knew upon awakening that I wanted this day to be over expeditiously. My chest was heavy and my head be...

MOST ENJOYED STORM